JeffPo's Louisville & Nashville Lantern Page
Last update: 11/05/08
This is an Arsmpear lantern from the Louisville &
Railroad. The lid is stamped
The tall red globe is cast with L&NRR.
The red globe means that it was used as a stop signal.
Louisville & Nashville Railroad
and Nashville Railroad (L&N) operated freight and passenger services in the
. The L&N was chartered by the
in 1850. Unlike most other
railroads, it operated under the same name for many years (132).
It eventually had a network of nearly 7000 miles.
By 1859, the railroad line stretched from
. During the Civil War, both
Confederate and Union armies operated different parts of the L&N at various
times. By 1884 the railroad was so
important that it was included in the Dow Jones, the first American stock market
the first half of the 20th century, the railroad's access to high-grade coal
eventually enabled it to claim the nation's longest non-stop run, nearly 500 miles.
Although the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL) gained control of the
L&N in 1902, it didnít make any changes in the control of operations.
Before anti-trust laws, the L&N would flex its corporate and financial
muscle to stifle competitors, or garner a controlling interest in their
companies. The L&N was used
heavily during the World Wars to haul war supplies where needed.
Through the 1950s and 1960s the
continued to grow through mergers
and acquisitions. The Seaboard Coast
Line Railroad (SCL, the successor to the ACL) took full control of the L&N
in 1971 and it because a subsidiary. Amtrak
took over any remaining passenger service. In
1982 the Seaboard System Railroad (successor to SCL) absorbed the L&N
entirely and withdrew its name from the market.
The former L&N lines are now operated by the CSX Transportation
(previously the Seaboard System Railroad).
No. 295 Class K-7 Pacific
"South Wind". Union Station.
Circa 1947: Wiley H. Sullivan Collection
This engine was upgraded and streamlined to be used for 490 mile run from Louisville, KY to Montgomery,
AL, non-stop without taking on fuel or water. Special high grade coal
was shipped to
to be used exclusively for No. 295. On many occasions
No. 295 arrived in
with an empty tender, low steam pressure, and barely
enough coal to make it to the South Louisville Roundhouse.
* Back to home page *