JeffPo's Norfolk & Western Railway Lantern Page
Last update: 05/24/10
This Adlake lantern was used by the Norfolk & Western Railway. The lid is embossed with N&W RY. The red globe is etched with N&W and it's also cast with ADLAKE KERO.
The red globe means that it was used as a stop signal. When lit, it puts out a beautiful ruby red glow.
There's something about a red glowing lantern that represents the essence of railroads operating at night. Red lanterns were used throughout all areas of railroading. They could be swung to signal a train to stop. They could also be hung on the back railcar as an end of train marker. A lot of railroad required their locomotives to carry both clear and red colored lanterns as standard equipment.
Norfolk & Western Railway
Double header N&W coal train. Virginia, 1950s.
The Norfolk & Western Railway can trace its roots back
to 1836, when the City Point Railroad was chartered by Virginia State
Legislature. Through mergers and
acquisitions, this nine mile short line would eventually become the mighty
N&W Railway. The railroad as a
company came into being in 1881 when the
Class J 4-8-4 streamlined N&W steam engine pulling the Pocahontas passenger consist, Petersburg, VA, 1958.
Restored class J 4-8-4 streamlined N&W steam engine #611 in Roanoke, VA on April 22, 2017. Photo by author, Jeff Polston.
* Back to home page *